Saturday 30 October 2010

Hidden Song

Hey people, here's my first post, it's an interview with singer, pianist and composer Vanessa Knight....



Vanessa Knight is as yet relatively unknown singer and songwriter,  yet she hopes this will soon change. Her Edinburgh run, two nights in the  Rat Pack, was a sell-out success and on the second night she performed  her own songs, for the first time in front of a live audience. She  admits that this was 'scary' but it added 'I've loved it, absolutely  loved it, everyone [in Edinburgh] has been so welcoming.'

I  arranged to meet her to do this interview after being blown away by her  live performance 'Hidden Song,' where she debuted such tracks as the  beautifully impassioned 'Lay Down Your Devils On Me' and the  heart-rending yet mathematically precise love song 'Circles'.  Reminiscent in style to Camille O'Sullivan she performed with a pair of  pale stiletto heels propped on top of the shiny grand piano. 'Oh that's  because I can't play the piano in high heels,' she explains 'it's so  important to be able to feel the pedals, but they're such beautiful  shoes, it feels sad not to have them on display.'

As we  sit over a table in Biblos, one of the few none crowded bars we could  find, she tells me about her life as a musician and her ambitions for  the future. She's been writing songs since she was a tiny child, and she  laughs as she tells me that she won a Blue Peter badge aged six for a  song she sent in. She is a classically trained musician, with a degree  in Music and Drama from Birmingham University, but she never really  thought she'd make it as a musician until she graduated and was offered a  job singing in nightclubs in Scandinavia- 'I never knew that singing  was a real job until that point,' she says, 'that this was something  which I could do full time and make a living from.' Since then she has  travelled round Europe playing and singing in different clubs.

I  find Vanessa surprisingly easy to talk to, possibly as we are the same  age and both recent graduates, so I know what she's getting at when she  says 'I was going to go into advertising or some other graduate job, not  because I wanted to, just because, well, you know, you think that's  what you've got to do.'

When talking about what she does,  she admits that she doesn't like to stick to one category 'Every genre  has something incredible in it, Ilike to mix it up a bit,' - hence why  she mixes bits of Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Radiohead in with her  own music.'Genre doesn't matter,' she says, waving a porcelain hand  dismissively over the table ' the most important thing in music is that  it's sincere'.

She's also interested in bringing  mathematics to to music 'there was a movement called serialism around  the beginning of the twentieth century, all about using mathematical  codes and sequences to generate music...it's very interesting, but it  doesn't always sounds fantastic, however one day I would love to write a  piece that is perfectly mathematical but at the same time sounds good  and means something.'

The idea of music having meaning is a  subject which Vanessa returns to again and again, 'I try to write about  things other than love...it makes for fantastic songs but it's too easy  to write oh-my-heart-is-breaking-and-I-think-I'll-die sort of things.'  This perhaps explains her wide repertoire of song which touch on s  subjects such as supporting an unstable but lovely friend (Lay Down Your  Devils On Me) to a song about the wonder of a big city (London Lights).  At present she is trying to choose which song to make the lead single  on the full length album, which she hopes to bring out early next year.  She asks my advice and I tell her that my favourite is Lay Down Your  Devils. She thanks me and then tells me that she hopes to have her music  on spotify within the next couple of months. 'It's always difficult to  finish anything as an artist though,' she says 'you know how it is, you  always think you can tweak it a little, make it that little bit  better..'

I know what she means, however I think her music is great as it is, and she certainly deserves recognition.


 And here is a link to Vanessa's website for those who wish to know more - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Vanessa-Knight/323819526810 

No comments:

Post a Comment